This Song Circle is your way to continually learn new songs, techniques and generally keep improving your musicianship skills. This is a a weekly online ukulele group class through Zoom where you get the opportunity to work alongside a group of like-minded fellow participants and get experienced instruction and quality learning ressources. While not intended for absolute beginners, players of various skill levels can get a lot out of this group. Keep scrolling for more details and to register.
September 2020 Update: The Song Circle will continue to meet online on Zoom. There may be an option to join me in person at Gigspace for a few participants. If and when this becomes an option over the course of the fall session, the option of joining via Zoom will always remain in place. If you have questions about the class, don’t hesitate to reach out to Joel here: email@example.com
New members are welcome!
Here are some group videos that we created during the spring / summer of 2020
The ukulele is the perfect tool to explore and to connect more deeply with the songs and music that we have loved over our lifetime. Learn to listen to original recordings and work out ukulele arrangements for them, learn the chord progressions, work on the melodic phrasing, discuss the meanings of lyrics, place the song in its cultural context.
The Daytime Song Circle is about exploring and learning the songs that the participants love, while developing and strengthening a wide range of skills on the ukulele.
- Learn to listen to original recordings to find the most important elements of a song.
- Learn strums, fingerpicking patterns, intros, riffs, and whatever else a song arrangement needs. Each song presents a new opportunity to learn or master a playing technique.
- Collectively build a repertoire of songs that the group feels connected to. Also, broaden your music horizons through exploring others’ musical selections.
- 2 songs explored most weeks. Regular repetition of already learned songs to continually improve. 7-9 songs learned over the course of a 6-7 week session.
- Instructor prepared, clear and accurate song sheets to help learn songs efficiently.
The Song Circle is a small intimate group who meet on Tuesday mornings from 11am til noon to develop a repertoire of songs. All participants get the opportunity to choose a song or songs they care about. Joel prepares the arrangements and song sheets. With guidance, learn to play and sing them to the best of your abilities.
Intended for retirees, or anyone who has time during the day, who want to play in a small intimate group. While not intended for absolute beginners, all ability levels are welcome.
Check out some of our past songbooks here! Song Circle SONGBOOKS
Venue: ZOOM Online Group Lesson
Venue Website: https://zoom.us/
You’ll receive the ZOOM link from the reminder email that comes the day before our lesson. The link will remain the same for each lesson. When you follow the link the first time, it’ll prompt you to download the right app for your system. It really doesn’t take long. If you want to do it in advance, try this link: https://zoom.us/support/download
If it’s your first time using Zoom, here are a few steps that should help you navigate the sign in process. Once you’ve done it once, it’ll be really easy next time. Just a couple of things to know the first time around. To sign into a Zoom lesson:
- Click the provided link above from whichever device you’re choosing to use. For best results, a computer will offer the most features. That being said, a tablet and phone can work as well.
- If you don’t yet have the Zoom app on your device, it should prompt you to download it. I’d recommend going ahead and doing this.
- If you cannot or prefer not to download the app, you should be able to find the option to ‘start from your browser’.
- You’re almost there. If prompted for an audio setting, choose ‘Join Audio by Computer’.
- Hang tight from here, if we’re not already talking online to each other, I’ll join you soon and I’ll finish showing you around. See you online!
- If all else fails, call me on my cell and we’ll figure it out together: 613-323-1689
- Tuesdays 11-Noon | Nov 3-Dec 15
November 3, 2020
11:00 am - 12:00 pm