In this 2 session introduction to Gypsy Jazz on the ukulele, we’ll learn 2 of Django Reinhardt’s standards: Minor Swing and Nuages. The ukulele is actually a great instrument with which to approach this style of Jazz playing.
- Learn Django’s classic standard Minor Swing as well as Sweet Georgia Brown.
- Chord progressions and La Pompe
- The basics of simple improvisation over these standards.
This workshop is open to anyone with at least some ukulele playing experience who is interested. It is helpful if you have taken Beginner Part 2 or at have some experience reading either tablature notation or standard notation for the ukulele.
An optional 1 week extension will be added for Tuesday, Nov 6th for registered participants who would like to continue developing the Hot Club.
Venue: Ukebox Home Studio
Venue Phone: 613-323-1689Address:
Joel invites you to his home studio centrally located in the Chinatown/Little Italy neighbourhood of Ottawa.
- IMPORTANT: Please read signs carefully as there is a ‘No Parking’ zone on our stretch of Eccles Street.
- 3 hour street parking on Eccles, Anderson and other neighbouring side streets parallel to Eccles.
- 1 hour parking until 7pm on Rochester. Great for evening classes.
- OC Transpo’s #11 (old #2) bus route. Get off at the Somerset/Booth stop.
- OC Transpo #85 bus route. Stops at Preston and Anderson, 1 block away from studio.
The Bridgehead Roastery is only 1 block away for coffee before or after lessons. There is very good and affordable Pho, Ramen, Dim Sum and more just a stones throw away. Take advantage of your time in the neighbourhood to take it all in!
- Tues 7:30-8:30 | Oct 23-30
October 23, 2018
7:30 pm - 8:30 pm
- Tues 7:30-8:30 | Nov 6 Extension
November 6, 2018
7:30 pm - 8:30 pm