I’m a cuatro player from Venezuela. I was born in Caracas and started playing the cuatro since 6 years old. My dad was my first teacher, and later I would be learning my first chords at school. When I was 15 I decided to learn a few solo instrumental songs, so I dedicated about 9 months to the first one “Sin Rencor”, just to have it ready for the Gaita season in December. It was a huge success and I got to play it for my school Gaita music group in front of everybody!
Later I would receive cuatro lessons with Luis Pino and Jorge Glem to become formally an instrumental cuatro player. I got to teach cuatro at Centro Cultural Chacao and Centro de Capacitación Musical Teresa Carreño and later, in 2011, I decided it was time to create a website where people could go to learn how to play the cuatro, I decided to call it TuCuatro.
Since 2012 I’m living Ottawa, Canada from where I keep organizing all TuCuatro teachers, luthiers and associates and keep aiming to create the world’s biggest interactive cuatro guide ever done.
Venue: Ukebox Home Studio
Venue Phone: 613-323-1689Adreça:
Joel invites you to his home studio centrally located in the Chinatown/Little Italy neighbourhood of Ottawa.
- IMPORTANT: Please read signs carefully as there is a ‘No Parking’ zone on our stretch of Eccles Street.
- 3 hour street parking on Eccles, Anderson and other neighbouring side streets parallel to Eccles.
- 1 hour parking until 7pm on Rochester. Great for evening classes.
- OC Transpo’s #11 (old #2) bus route. Get off at the Somerset/Booth stop.
- OC Transpo #85 bus route. Stops at Preston and Anderson, 1 block away from studio.
The Bridgehead Roastery is only 1 block away for coffee before or after lessons. There is very good and affordable Pho, Ramen, Dim Sum and more just a stones throw away. Take advantage of your time in the neighbourhood to take it all in!
Thurs 7-8 | June 7
With Adrian Toro
July 7, 2016
7:00 pm - 8:00 pm