Ever thought of a song you knew would be great to play on the ukulele? What if you wanted to learn it well enough to lead it at a jam? Or to perform it at an open mic? Just how well do you need to know the song so that you can share it with others?
In this one evening session, I propose to walk you through the preparation of a song chart from the first listen, through some analysis to help us understand all aspects of the song, to collecting all of our insights into a usable song chart that will make it easy to learn, and easy to share with others. Part listening exercise, part music analysis, part technical tips and tricks, part work flow suggestions.
- How to identify the key and likely chords.
- How to choose a strumming pattern.
- How to listen for chord changes. How to notate chord progressions.
- How melodies and chord progressions interact. This will help with the ‘singing and playing’ aspect.
- How to notate it all and make it easy to share. Yes, we’ll be talking about chordpro files.
This workshop is open to anyone who is interested. It is helpful if you can play a dozen or so chords and move between them easily. | If you come to jams regularly and want to participate more fully, this workshop is for you. | Bring a ukulele. | You’re welcome to bring a laptop or tablet for relevant technical tips and advice. | This workshop will be offered regularly and people are welcome to take it more than once. It’ll be a new song and new analysis each time.
Venue: Ukebox Home Studio
Venue Phone: 613-323-1689Address:
Joel invites you to his home studio centrally located in the Chinatown/Little Italy neighbourhood of Ottawa.
- IMPORTANT: Please read signs carefully as there is a ‘No Parking’ zone on our stretch of Eccles Street.
- 3 hour street parking on Eccles, Anderson and other neighbouring side streets parallel to Eccles.
- 1 hour parking until 7pm on Rochester. Great for evening classes.
- OC Transpo’s #11 (old #2) bus route. Get off at the Somerset/Booth stop.
- OC Transpo #85 bus route. Stops at Preston and Anderson, 1 block away from studio.
The Bridgehead Roastery is only 1 block away for coffee before or after lessons. There is very good and affordable Pho, Ramen, Dim Sum and more just a stones throw away. Take advantage of your time in the neighbourhood to take it all in!
- Tues 7:30-8:30 | Sept 11th
September 11, 2018
7:30 pm - 8:30 pm
- Tues 7:30-8:30 | Oct 9th
October 9, 2018
7:30 pm - 8:30 pm